My friend Laurie, a devoted mother of two and generally cool chick, shared this recipe with me. She swears it's kid-friendly, and I trust her judgment because this is a gal who very impressively made most of her baby food from scratch, and aside from that time she tried to sneak me disgusting sweet potato puree disguised as hot chocolate during her Deceptively Delicious phase, she's never steered me wrong.
It's also pretty adult-friendly – aka, YUMMY. Doesn't it look yummy? And don't you love my awesome vintage Pyrex bowl?!
I love the green flowers. Of course.
But back to Peanut Butter Noodles: They're incredibly easy to make, and I'm psyched because there was plenty left over for a couple easy take-to-work lunches. Oh, and speaking of lunches, Laurie says the big draw for her was that you serve it room temperature, so it'll be great for her kids' lunches.
Here's the recipe:
Peanut Butter Noodles
Serves 4 – 6
Adapted from FamilyFun.com
1 pound whole wheat spaghetti noodles (linguine, angel hair pasta, or soba noodles also work)
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
5 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
5 tablespoons sesame oil
4 tablespoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons peeled and grated fresh ginger root
1 garlic clove, minced
4 scallions, peeled and sliced into rounds
1/2 cup chopped peanuts
Optional toppings: grated carrot, more scallions, cucumber (peeled, seeded, and thinly sliced)
Boil the noodles according to the package directions. While the noodles are cooking, blend together everything but the noodles and the nuts in a large bowl. Drain and rinse the pasta, then pour the pasta in to the large bowl with the peanut mixture, and mix well. Top with chopped peanuts and any optional toppings (I don't think I'd ever make this without the additional scallions and cuke – yum!) Best enjoyed at room temperature, though you can do it cold, too.
Thanks, Laurie! For this, I think I can finally let go of the Sweet Potato Disaster.
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream 7:00 AM
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds 10:31 AM
- Iced Coffee 3:09 PM
- Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding) 11:05 PM
- Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream 1:17 PM
- Foodbuzz 24×24: A Simply Washington Thanksgiving 10:31 PM
- Sweet Potato Pie 8:48 AM
- Goodbye to The Hazel Bloom. Hello, Kitchen Treaty! 7:59 AM
- Junk to Treasure: 70′s Clock Turned Cool New Wall Art 3:11 PM
- Honey Rhubarb Brown Betty 11:03 AM
- Almond Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies 10:43 AM
- Deep Dark Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 10:51 AM
- Glazed Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 12:01 PM
- Glazed Vanilla Bean Cookies 8:56 AM
- Anne: I've just made two and they are absolutely adorabl...
- Sam: Kare, good luck to you. Your blog was the first th...
- Kare: Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago...
- Mary Castor: Hi, Just made these...What did I do wrong??? The...
- Kristen: This is so beautiful! :) I'm wanting to do somet...
- Lisa: Hi! I am doing a roundup of my favorite holiday t...
- Chante Drape: Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ...