I'll just cut right to the chase this time: These fruit and nut scones are terrific.
They're based on Alton Brown's scones recipe, just like the Mini Vanilla Scones I talked about last week. This, though, is my favorite iteration. They're chockful of yummy dried apricots, dried cranberries, and chopped pecans.
So even though they're not the least fattening fare in town, at least some healthy stuff is packed in there. Justification – something I'm very good at!
Here's the recipe.
Fruit and Nut Scones
Adapted from Alton Brown's scones recipe
- 2 cups flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- Using a pastry blender, a couple of knives, or your fingers, cut the 4 tablespoons of butter and the shortening into the flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg, then mix in the heavy cream.
- Create a well in the dry mixture, then pour the cream mixture in.
- Mix just until the dough starts to stick together.
- Stir in the apricots, cranberries, and nuts.
- Work it as little as possible after this point – the less you work it, the more tender the final product is.
- Turn the scone dough out onto a floured board.
- Roll into an approximately 6 inch by 9 inch rectangle.
- Using a biscuit cutter, cut out the scones.
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes – I check for just a teensy tinge of golden brown along the bottom.
- And, of course, enjoy!
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream 7:00 AM
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds 10:31 AM
- Iced Coffee 3:09 PM
- Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding) 11:05 PM
- Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream 1:17 PM
- Foodbuzz 24×24: A Simply Washington Thanksgiving 10:31 PM
- Sweet Potato Pie 8:48 AM
- Goodbye to The Hazel Bloom. Hello, Kitchen Treaty! 7:59 AM
- Junk to Treasure: 70′s Clock Turned Cool New Wall Art 3:11 PM
- Honey Rhubarb Brown Betty 11:03 AM
- Almond Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies 10:43 AM
- Deep Dark Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 10:51 AM
- Glazed Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 12:01 PM
- Glazed Vanilla Bean Cookies 8:56 AM
- Anne: I've just made two and they are absolutely adorabl...
- Sam: Kare, good luck to you. Your blog was the first th...
- Kare: Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago...
- Mary Castor: Hi, Just made these...What did I do wrong??? The...
- Kristen: This is so beautiful! :) I'm wanting to do somet...
- Lisa: Hi! I am doing a roundup of my favorite holiday t...
- Chante Drape: Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ...