Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream

In between marathon blog redesign sessions, I’ve had a teensy bit of a life. I think it’s still summer – it is, right? I think the weather is pretty nice. I think my dogs and my guy still like me well enough. I think.

Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream

As far as my guy is concerned, I’m pretty sure it helped that I took enough of a break over the past couple of weeks to head to the farm stand and load up on beautiful, bright, just-picked Pacific Northwest bing cherries, and then turn a bunch of those bad boys into fresh bing cherry ice cream for him. I also bought him a case of Hefeweizen and some beef jerky. I aim to please. My dogs, Angel and Lizzie? Psh, they think I hung the moon no matter what, which is pretty handy. Though I did promise to take them to the ocean this weekend. Just in case.

A pound of red, ripe cherries turns this lush ice cream a pretty pale burgundy. Not pink, mind you. Pale burgundy. I feel like there should be a name for pale burgundy, but it’s escaping me. The flavor? Actually a little subtle, until you bite into a chunk of cherry and… {monster truck voice} “IT’S A FLAVOR EXPLOSION! explosion! explosion!”

A flavor explosionWhich is to say, it’s good. Really good. And a great way to showcase those wonderful bing cherries in season. And a great way to feel better about the fact that you’re neglecting your loved ones while you obsess over your blog redesign.

Here’s the recipe!

Print this recipe Print this recipe

Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream

Makes about 6 servings

Ingredients:

• 2 cups whole or 2% milk
  • 1 1/2 cups whipping cream
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1 pound fresh bing cherries (this will amount to 2 cups cherry halves + 1 cup diced cherries)
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice

Directions:

1. Pit 2/3 of the cherries. If you have a cherry pitter or a totally awesome Cherry Chomper, I am jealous of you. Though I just cut the cherries in half with a paring knife, then carefully pried them apart and removed the pit – not too bad. Still no Cherry Chomper, though.
  2. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of the lemon juice over the cherry halves and toss lightly.
  3. Pit and dice the remaining 1/3 of the cherries. Cut the cherry in half, remove the pit, and then cut each half into fourths. Or, you know, cut ‘em how you like.
  4. And then sprinkle the other teaspoon of lemon juice over the diced cherries and toss a little. We’re keeping the cherries a nice burgundy so they can become a nice light burgundy. Not pink!
  5. Beat the egg yolks and sugar in a medium bowl until the mixture is frothy. This takes a good couple minutes of whisking and takes the egg yolks and sugar from this:
    To this!

6. In a medium saucepan, heat the milk and whipping cream over low heat, until the mixture is very warm – when it forms bubbles around the sides, it’s about ready.
  7. Very slowly pour the hot cream/milk mixture into the beaten eggs, whipping briskly the entire time. You’re tempering the eggs – heating them slowly and evenly so that you don’t make scrambled eggs instead of beautiful custard.
  8. Return the milk/cream/eggs/sugar mixture to the saucepan and, stirring constantly over medium-low heat, heat until the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon – about 10 minutes (sometimes takes as long as 15, but watch carefully and remove from the heat as soon as it’s thick).
  9. Remove from the heat.
  10. Stir in the cherry halves (NOT the diced cherries – those go into the ice cream at the last minute).
  11. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes or so.
  12. Stir in the vanilla.
  13. And then puree! I use my handy dandy immersion blender. You can also use a good old fashioned blender. Be careful, though. The mixture is still hot. Let it sit for a few more minutes if you’re not sure.
  14. Strain the custard through a fine mesh sieve. Yes, mine is made of plastic. Yes, I’m a little embarrassed about that.
  15. Let the custard cool completely. This can happen in the fridge, or you can set the container in a bowl or sink of ice water to speed up the process.
  16. Once it’s cooled, pour the mixture into your ice cream maker, and freeze according to manufacturer instructions. I, of course, used my handy dandy Cuisinart number. It’s way easy.
    Now is a great time to make and enjoy pink grapefruit margaritas while you wait.

17. When the mixture is just about frozen, add the diced cherries.
  18. Now you can eat it, or spread it in a container and freeze the rest of the way.
  19. We enjoyed this plain, and I also whipped up some dark chocolate hot fudge to try over the top. Both are equally, sinfully great. Enjoy!

A bite of fresh bing cherry ice cream

More goodies like this:

Tags: , ,

Share or bookmark this post - and share the love!
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Add to favorites
  • Google Bookmarks
  • FriendFeed

Post Author

This post was written by who has written 272 posts on The Hazel Bloom.

21 Responses to “Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream”

1. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 1:56 PM #

Wow! What a pretty color, and it sounds so creamy, fresh, and delish! Make some double chocolate cookies, put a scoop of that creamy goodness between them and you would be my bff! Love the re-design! Faboosh!

2. Jennifer Jo Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 3:21 PM #

The picture of the bowl of cherries is frame-able.

Love your new blog design!

3. sarah @ syrupandhoney Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 6:59 PM #

Yum yum yum! Ice cream is seriously the best thing in the summer. And I love the new blog look.

4. Kare Thursday, July 29, 2010 at 9:45 PM #

Kelly, in the middle of a chocolate chocolate chip cookie ice cream sandwich sounds *amazing* and I wish I’d thought of it! Thanks to you and Jennifer Jo and Sarah for the blog redesign compliments… it means a lot. :)

5. Tiffany Rosenberger Friday, July 30, 2010 at 7:37 AM #

I just found your blog and love it! Great pictures. Can’t wait to try this recipe but maybe some chocolate chunks thrown in for good measure. =)

6. Kare Friday, July 30, 2010 at 9:29 AM #

Thanks, Tiffany! I think some chocolate chunks thrown in would be amazing.

7. rv covers Monday, August 2, 2010 at 5:45 PM #

Hi there I like your article

8. Krissy Brackenridge Tuesday, August 3, 2010 at 11:08 PM #

My mom and I would like to develop a blog much like this for our internet site, I stumbled across your internet site trying to find some ideas on the theme and design. I am taking some html coding course in college but not sure if I would be capable of create a internet site such as this one at this time. Did you code this site all by yourself or employ a qualified?

9. Is HCG Diet Safe Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 9:11 AM #

Extremely insightful. I like the way you write. Do you have an RSS feed?

10. Kare Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:20 AM #

Hi Krissy, I think you’ll find it pretty easy to develop a great-looking blog! If you start with WordPress as your platform, you can find a gazillion themes, many of which are free, and go from there. I used the Canvas theme from WooThemes, because it was highly customizable and had the framework I was looking for. And then I customized from there. I created my graphics in Photoshop and, dev-wise, I did have to edit some of the php files within the theme to get exactly what I wanted, but it was minor and if you’re taking HTML classes, you’re halfway there as far as knowing how to tweak the php files go. Good luck!

11. Kare Wednesday, August 4, 2010 at 10:21 AM #

HCG, thank you! Yes, my overall feed is at http://www.thehazelbloom.com/feed.

12. Kim at Rustic Garden Bistro Thursday, August 5, 2010 at 1:04 PM #

Hey Kare,

Thanks for swinging by the RGB! It’s been fun trolling through your site today – My “guy” and I got married a week and a half ago. We’re parents to a lovely four-legged girl, and I pinch myself everyday thinkin’ I’m the luckiest gal in the world – don’t you love that feeling?!

Your cherry ice cream looks delicious. I might have to bookmark this one for future use… right after I convince Mr. RGBistro to buy me an ice cream maker. :-)

Cheers!

[K]

13. Kare Friday, August 6, 2010 at 9:27 AM #

Hi Kim, thank you for stopping by!

A week and a half – wow! Congrats! Love it… who knew there was really such a thing as soulmates, eh? I’d had my moments of doubt, personally… :)

You two must get the ice cream maker, you’ll never regret it, I promise!

14. Natasha Friday, August 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM #

I just baught an ice cream maker today- I am so happy I decided to visit your site tonight! I am making this right away….

15. Kare Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 8:44 AM #

Natasha, I know you’re going to love the ice cream maker! I swear it practically changed my life – in good *and* bad ways. ;) Enjoy. :)

16. Natasha Saturday, August 21, 2010 at 9:22 AM #

Thanks! I was afraid it might be life changing…I had been looking at them all summer and found one yesterday for $4! with 2 extra bowls! I almost ran to the check out! I am heading to the store right now for cream…have cherries…will make ice cream :)
    I am going to try the other ones and think I might add toasted pecans to this one….yummy.

17. Andrew Bleau Thursday, December 2, 2010 at 9:25 AM #

Boss post. Whatever you can do, or dream you can do, begin it; boldness has genius, power and magic in it.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Twitter Tweets about Bing as of July 29, 2010 | Bay Area REO - Thursday, July 29, 2010

[...] · Reply · View thehazelbloom: And, a new post! Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream – http://www.thehazelbloom.com/2010/07/fresh-bing-cherry-ice-cream/ 2010-07-29 20:53:35 · Reply · View seo_theory: Bing Blog: Bing Integration into [...]

2. Top Ten Ice Cream Recipes « Mrs. Dexter - Tuesday, July 12, 2011

[...] Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream – Dexter requested this flavor after we picked up a bag of cherries from the co-op. They’re on sale for even cheaper this week, so I’m planning to make this as soon as I can! (Thanks to Karen from The Hazel Bloom for use of the photo.) [...]

3. Welcome, Summer! A Few Recipes I Can't Wait to Make - The Hazel BloomThe Hazel Bloom - Tuesday, September 6, 2011

[...] Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream [...]

4. Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream | Ice Creamed - Thursday, November 22, 2012

[...] Bing Cherry Ice Cream November 22, 2012 By Ice Cream Master Leave a Comment Recipe available at The Hazel Bloom var dd_offset_from_content = 40; var dd_top_offset_from_content = 0; /* Filed Under: Cherry [...]