No no no. Not in this way.
Image from Spoiled Rotten Doggies
Pumpkin Dog Biscuits are the perfect fall treat for your pooch. Pureed pumpkin is packed with nutrients – and dogs seem to love it.
After I roasted, pureed, and froze some pumpkin (and Lizzie happily gobbled up a couple of bits that made it to the floor), I got to thinking that homemade dog biscuits with pumpkin in ‘em might be pretty popular around here. A quick Google of course turned up a few recipes (everyone thinks of these things first, I swear!) and I whipped up a variation of these Pumpkin Dog Biscuits that I found over on Food.com.
I thought squirrel and acorn shapes were appropriate for the season (and for Miss Squirrel-Obsessed Lizzie).
Liz thinks they’re appropriate for scarfing down.
Here’s the recipe.
Pumpkin Dog Biscuits
Adapted from Pumpkin Dog Biscuits on Food.com
Yield: About 2 dozen medium-size biscuits
- 1/2 cup pureed pumpkin – canned (not pumpkin pie filling!) or homemade
- 2 eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin and the eggs with a fork.
- Add the flour, salt, and milk, and combine until well-mixed. The dough should be very stiff – add a little water if needed to make it workable.
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and roll the dough to about 1/4 to 1/2 inch thick, sprinkling on more flour if needed to prevent sticking.
- Cut out shapes, and then lay them on an ungreased cookie sheet, about a half inch apart.
- Try to ignore the pathetic, pleading dog staring intently from just outside the kitchen.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then flip them over and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Let cool, and then treat your pooch!
More goodies like this:
- Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter
- Pumpkin Pancakes with Buttermilk Caramel Syrup and Toasted Hazelnuts
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds
- Maple Pumpkin Oat Muffins with Cinnamon-Maple Glaze
- A Few Favorite Fall Recipes
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream 7:00 AM
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds 10:31 AM
- Iced Coffee 3:09 PM
- Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding) 11:05 PM
- Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream 1:17 PM
- Foodbuzz 24×24: A Simply Washington Thanksgiving 10:31 PM
- Sweet Potato Pie 8:48 AM
- Goodbye to The Hazel Bloom. Hello, Kitchen Treaty! 7:59 AM
- Junk to Treasure: 70′s Clock Turned Cool New Wall Art 3:11 PM
- Honey Rhubarb Brown Betty 11:03 AM
- Almond Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies 10:43 AM
- Deep Dark Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 10:51 AM
- Glazed Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 12:01 PM
- Glazed Vanilla Bean Cookies 8:56 AM
- Anne: I've just made two and they are absolutely adorabl...
- Sam: Kare, good luck to you. Your blog was the first th...
- Kare: Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago...
- Mary Castor: Hi, Just made these...What did I do wrong??? The...
- Kristen: This is so beautiful! :) I'm wanting to do somet...
- Lisa: Hi! I am doing a roundup of my favorite holiday t...
- Chante Drape: Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ...