Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding)

This haupia recipe (or coconut pudding recipe) will forever remind me of this, my first trip to Hawaii. Hopefully it’ll whisk your tastebuds away, too … if only for a few minutes.

Winters in Seattle are notoriously dreary. Contrary to what some believe, there’s hardly any snow, ever … and when it does snow, it’s usually a welcome reprieve from all that gray. Living in this damp, drizzly, dark bog from November to March, every single year I crave the sun like a man crawling through the desert and creaking, “Agua!” Except I’m on a plane whimpering “Suuuuunnn…,” frightening the passengers around me.

On good years like this one, I get to hop on a plane and turn my face up to the sun somewhere warmer. The golden light restores me and gets me through the rest of the Seattle sludge, carrying me until daffodils spring from the soggy ground and I resume my rollercoaster love affair with this place.

A break did me good on other fronts, too. There’s nothing like a good, solid vacation to help regain your balance. Getting away from it all helps get the wheels turning in all kinds of wonderful ways. Swaying palm trees, the wind in your hair as you zoom along a beachside highway with the convertible top down, crashing azure-blue waves, a strong fruity drink … those help too.

We went to Oahu, and it was my first trip ever to any of the Hawaiian Islands. We spent most of our time in a tiny beachfront cottage in the sleepy town of Laie, which really wasn’t much of a town at all, and that was perfect. Every morning, we’d rise and grab a mug of coffee. Then we’d walk up the light golden beach, barefoot and smiling toward the sunrise. The sky would circulate shades of indigo, periwinkle, apricot … and then finally beam brightly back at us.

We drove around the islands in our Mustang convertible (those who know my guy are nodding their heads and saying, “of course”). We saw whales breaching and turtles sunning themselves. Bright orange butterflies flitting, resting, flitting and resting everywhere, even on our drying clothes.

Crystal clear blue waters, towering emerald fluted mountains. The weather didn’t always cooperate. Some days, yes, it poured; but it was still 80 degrees out. So we put up our beach umbrella, scooted our chairs under, sipped Coronas and wiggled our toes in the raindrops.

A bit of that inclement weather was the result of a weather system that also caused those crazy 30-foot swells that the North Shore of Oahu is famous for. We watched the surfers in awe. They looked like mere fleas scooting along those giant waves.

Yes, it was as magical as it sounds. Especially the sea turtles. I’ve waited my whole life to see sea turtles.

I would, however, be remiss if I didn’t ‘fess up one thing. I spent an inordinate amount of time worrying about tsunamis, and worrying about myself because I was so worried about tsunamis. I’m a scenario girl; it’s in my nature, I guess. It’s just, we could hear the waves crashing right there, and I wasn’t clear on how the warning system would really work, and the escape path wasn’t evident! I know, I know. Total dork.

But otherwise: aaaaaaaah.

We also ate some amazing food. Fresh fruit by the handful: papaya, bananas and of course, perfect pineapple. My guy got to enjoy the Hukilau Burger, made famous thanks to the infamous Man vs. Food. A big patty topped with a fried egg, grilled onions, and a healthy layer of tender teriyaki beef. No joke. In Haleiwa, we tried the beloved Matsumoto’s shave ice, but admittedly we were even more enamored with all of their cute t-shirts.

And last but not least, we had pie. Delicious, delicious pie.

Pie that’s to blame, more than likely, for the fact that the waistband of my jeans feels a lot more restricting than usual this morning.

The pie was out of this world, though.

It’s Chocolate Haupia Cream Pie, “Haupia” meaning “coconut pudding.” It’s from Ted’s Bakery, an institution on the North Shore, and I can understand why. Chocolate and coconut pudding layered together on a sturdy, tasty crust, topped by whipped cream. It’s tasty, creamy, interesting and refreshing on a hot day.

I’m going to try my darndest to duplicate the recipe, but that will take me awhile. To get us through, I whipped up a batch of Haupia, which on its own is absolutely delicious.

It’s a very thick pudding made with coconut milk, and it tastes divine. Rich and coconutty, just like the tropics. And I know the taste will always take me back to those magical sunrise walks on Hukilau Beach; especially that extra-amazing morning when a rainbow greeted us.

What an experience.

Print this recipe Print this recipe

Haupia (Coconut Pudding)

Yield: Approx. 6 servings

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups water
1/2 cup corn starch
1 can (13.5 ounces) coconut milk
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1/2 teaspoon coconut extract (optional)

Whipped cream for topping

Directions:

1. In a small bowl or a glass measuring cup, whisk together 1 cup of water and the 1/2 cup corn starch. Set aside.
  2. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the remaining 1/2 cup water, coconut milk, sugar and heavy whipping cream.
  3. Bring mixture in sauce pan to a boil, stirring frequently with a whisk.
  4. Once the mixture has come to a boil, reduce the heat to low and slowly whisk in the corn starch mixture.
  5. Continue whisking the mixture over low heat for two or three minutes, until the mixture is very thick.
  6. Divide pudding mixture between six bowls or containers. Let cool at room temperature, then move to the refrigerator to complete cooling.
  7. Top with a good dollop of sweetened whipped cream and serve.

More goodies like this:

Tags: , , ,

Share or bookmark this post - and share the love!
  • StumbleUpon
  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • del.icio.us
  • Digg
  • Add to favorites
  • Google Bookmarks
  • FriendFeed

Post Author

This post was written by who has written 272 posts on The Hazel Bloom.

24 Responses to “Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding)”

1. Felice - All That's Left Are The Crumbs Thursday, February 17, 2011 at 11:59 PM #

Ted’s has the best pies! I haven’t had chocolate haupia for a while but now I will have to try making my own. I am glad that you enjoyed your time here on the islands.

Reply from Kare:

I tried the macadamia nut pie, too – yum! But the chocolate haupia has my heart – so do the islands. :)

2. Gourmande Friday, February 18, 2011 at 6:22 AM #

That looks delicious… like anything with coconut for me.

3. Tiffany Friday, February 18, 2011 at 9:06 AM #

LOVE LOVE LOVE the picture of the butterfly :D and this recipe! I HEART coconut!

4. Reema Friday, February 18, 2011 at 12:02 PM #

Loved those photos – want to go there now! Then I laughed when I saw the Double Rainbow!

Reply from Kare:

Weirdly, the double rainbow only showed up in the photo but not to the naked eye. (Whooooaaaaaaaaaa man!)

5. Jennifer Jo Friday, February 18, 2011 at 12:24 PM #

Since YOU posted this, I’ve made the pudding, photographed it, eaten it, wrote about it, and posted it. Thanks! (http://bit.ly/eKo2ok)

Reply from Kare:

Love it! :D Glad you had enough faith in me to try it and loved the recipe, even if your husband isn’t quite the fan. ;)

For what it’s worth, it’s supposed to be that thick. So thick, in fact, that you can pour it in a pan, cool it and then cut it into squares and serve ‘em on ti leaves. Bonus: You can pretend you’re at a luau!

6. Sonia Saturday, February 19, 2011 at 3:28 PM #

GORGEOUS photos!! I actually got chills over the sunset and turtle shots. Brian and I were on Maui in 2009, when there was a Tsunami warning. FREAKED me out. We knew the evac route, and had actually planned to spend that morning having breakfast at a restaurant on the evac route. So we headed up and had breakfast, and went back to our condo a few hours later. The most we saw were some large-ish swells, and lots of dirty water. It is very unsettling to wake up to a Tsunami warning!!

Reply from Kare:

Thank you! I am totally telling my guy about this so he knows I’m not *completely* crazy! Glad all was okay, yikes.

7. Mikaela Cowles Sunday, February 20, 2011 at 10:21 PM #

Did you see the sun today? And what about yesterday? Every mountain was out ;-) It was FREEZING though and your picks of warmth look incredibly inviting. Thank you for sharing!

Reply from Kare:

That’s true… Spring is just around the corner and it’s starting to feel like it! The mountains look so powdered-sugar-dusted pretty. I do love WA. :)

8. Anette Monday, February 21, 2011 at 6:21 AM #

How lovely, want to go there at once, wonderful, wonderful pictures, thanks a mil!

Reply from Kare:

Thank you so much, Anette! Go, go go!

9. Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen Monday, February 21, 2011 at 12:58 PM #

Oh wow, this looks so good! YUM!

10. Michelle Thursday, February 24, 2011 at 12:56 PM #

Amazing recipe, story, and photos! Your blog is so inspiring in so many ways!

11. Paul Tuesday, March 22, 2011 at 1:04 AM #

This is the second recipe I’ve made from this site, and it tasted great

I didn’t have six bowls though, so I had to eat 1/4 at a time. It’s a bit too much in one go

12. Mindy Wednesday, March 30, 2011 at 1:55 PM #

Wow this sounds amazing. I love coconut and will definitely have to make this.

13. Angela Wednesday, March 14, 2012 at 7:32 PM #

I’d like to try this but I can’t have dairy. Think I could substitute the cream for soy creamer? Or some other substitute?

Reply from Kare:

Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago but I only now just saw it as I’m porting the post over to my current site, Kitchen Treaty. So sorry I missed it! You know, I think you could probably just substitute more coconut milk and, as long as it’s not the “lite” version, it would probably be just great! What a good excuse for me to make this again – see if I can turn out a good vegan version.

14. Christine Thursday, April 12, 2012 at 9:07 PM #

Delicious!! Just made this and it is cooling in the fridge. I had a little taste-aroo though and I will definately be making this again :)

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. More Wall Art on the Super-Cheap: Floating Frames + Postcards - The Hazel Bloom - Saturday, April 9, 2011

[...] latest endeavor involved some neat vintage-inspired illustrated postcards that I picked up on our February trip to Oahu. Once I added them to these terrific 9″ wide by 11″ high floating frames from West Elm [...]

2. Coconut Banana Bread - - Saturday, March 24, 2012

[...] a vacation is really, really in order. Like a wonderful trip to Hawaii, for instance {pause for day-dreamy [...]

3. Coconut Banana Bread | Kitchen Treaty - Tuesday, December 11, 2012