Butter … one of the finest words in the English language. Despite its unfortunate first syllable, the word “butter” conjures up images of richness, of flavor, of decadence. And while delicious concoctions like apple butter and this pumpkin butter recipe don’t contain actual butter, they still give you that feel-good feeling.
Pumpkin butter sort of tastes like spreadable pumpkin pie, except it’s good pumpkin pie (despite my love for most all things pumpkin, I have an aversion to most pumpkin pie). It tastes like chilly fall mornings and Sundays and warm hugs. Or maybe it just tastes like pumpkin and delicious spices like cinnamon and ginger. Either way, I think you’ll like it.
So what do you do with your pumpkin butter after you make it (and you want to make it)? Spread it on a nice warm toasted slice of rustic bread. Stir it into your oatmeal. Add some to vanilla yogurt and top with granola for a nice autumn-y parfait. Include some in your next batch of homemade muffins. Use it in place of jam in your next PB & J sandwich. Eat it by the spoonful. Or if you’re feeling particularly generous, screw on a little square of fabric, tie on a simple label and give some away to your favorite people.
Here’s the recipe!
Crock Pot Pumpkin Butter
Makes approx. 5 cups
- 5 cups pumpkin puree (canned or make your own – instructions here)
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- Healthy pinch ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Pour all ingredients in your Crock Pot and combine.
- Cook on high for 4 – 5 hours with the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape, stirring every 20-30 minutes to prevent burning, until the pumpkin butter is a nice, thick spreading consistency.
- Add to jars and refrigerate. Keeps for about one week.
More goodies like this:
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream 7:00 AM
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds 10:31 AM
- Iced Coffee 3:09 PM
- Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding) 11:05 PM
- Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream 1:17 PM
- Foodbuzz 24×24: A Simply Washington Thanksgiving 10:31 PM
- Sweet Potato Pie 8:48 AM
- Goodbye to The Hazel Bloom. Hello, Kitchen Treaty! 7:59 AM
- Junk to Treasure: 70′s Clock Turned Cool New Wall Art 3:11 PM
- Honey Rhubarb Brown Betty 11:03 AM
- Almond Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies 10:43 AM
- Deep Dark Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 10:51 AM
- Glazed Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 12:01 PM
- Glazed Vanilla Bean Cookies 8:56 AM
- Anne: I've just made two and they are absolutely adorabl...
- Sam: Kare, good luck to you. Your blog was the first th...
- Kare: Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago...
- Mary Castor: Hi, Just made these...What did I do wrong??? The...
- Kristen: This is so beautiful! :) I'm wanting to do somet...
- Lisa: Hi! I am doing a roundup of my favorite holiday t...
- Chante Drape: Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ...