Not gonna lie, here. I had a heck of a time coming up with a Jack O’Lantern idea this year. Last year, my choice of Owl O’Lantern was clear – my obsession with owls had hit an all-time high, so creating my own rotund orange number was a no brainer. This year, I just wasn’t [...]
Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds have been my go-to pumpkin seed recipe this year. They have a blissfully addicting – if not slightly (but deliciously) strange – combo of rosemary, cinnamon, cayenne and black peppers, and salt. And they’re especially perfect with a nice cold winter ale.
These muffins have the most amazing crown – and they taste terrific, too. The pureed pumpkin helps keep the spiced batter moist; the brown sugar and maple syrup kiss the muffins with just the right amount of sweetness – not too much, though, because you’ve got Cinnamon Maple Glaze going on, too. Oh yeah.
Here are two more Halloween-y food ideas, neither of which turned out well enough to warrant their own story, admittedly. But they were still fun, and it's Halloween, so what the heck. I know, I know, I totally know. I said "Halloween-y." When I was growing up, we had a curmudgeony (okay, downright scary) neighbor [...]
While planning our little Halloween shindig, one of my first food ideas was to make a spider-shaped cake. He’s made from a dome-shaped cake a’la the famous Barbie skirt cake, which I thought would also work out to be the perfect shape for our little buddy. The idea for Barbie cakes is this: Bake your [...]
I know my friend Todd because of my guy – they've been buddies for so long, they're pretty much brothers. Todd's not only one of the nicest guys I've ever met, he's a talented artist. Which is totally cool. Except when you're over in your corner trying to create your jack o'lantern masterpiece, and he's [...]
I'm noticing a trend in my pumpkin carving choices the past few years. No mere human face or monster pumpkins, mine are all about sweet animals, it seems. Two years ago, it was a manatee. Barbara Manatee, to be exact. I know, I know. A bit of a stretch. Last year, it was a [...]
After just a few short weeks of doing this blog thing, I'm realizing how common, natural, and cliche it is to start a story with "I love…" It's just that, this is what it's about! Stuff I love! But I think I need to mix it up a bit, come in at things at new [...]
I thought I'd dreamed up this idea all by myself, but a quick Google tells me otherwise. Deviled eggs! Made to look like eyes! The perfect Halloween hors d'oeurve! I guess I can see how I wouldn't be the first person to dream this one up. It's not much of a stretch. Ah well. I [...]
I had so much fun playing with breadstick dough when I made witch's finger breadsticks, that I thought I'd try my hand at something else. Something creepy, something crawly, something… arachnidy. I always did love Playdoh (ranked behind the #1 Lincoln Logs, of course). And don't even get me started on Cranium. Whenever we're [...]
Come hither, my pretties. That's right… just a little bit closer. These numbers – or shall I say, digits – beckon everyone to bite the hand that feeds them. Well, at least the fingers. Possibly the creepiest breadsticks ever, these witch's fingers are great for dipping in soup or chili, or scooping up some marinara [...]
Give your old milk glass (or white glass) vases new life. Or shall I say… afterlife. Just add a couple of eyes and battery operated tea light "candles," then set them in any dark corner that needs haunting. Just about any shape and size can be made ghostly. Flickering battery powered tealights add a perfectly [...]
I saw this idea in a magazine forever ago (and I cannot remember for the life of me which magazine it was). I loved it and filed it away mentally – and finally tried it out this weekend. It's so simple: Take some themed cupcake liners (like these orange numbers with bats), punch a hole [...]
- Caramel Apple Upside Down Cake with Cinnamon Whipped Cream 7:00 AM
- Sweet, Spicy, and Savory Pumpkin Seeds 10:31 AM
- Iced Coffee 3:09 PM
- Hawaii & Haupia (Coconut Pudding) 11:05 PM
- Fresh Bing Cherry Ice Cream 1:17 PM
- Foodbuzz 24×24: A Simply Washington Thanksgiving 10:31 PM
- Sweet Potato Pie 8:48 AM
- Goodbye to The Hazel Bloom. Hello, Kitchen Treaty! 7:59 AM
- Junk to Treasure: 70′s Clock Turned Cool New Wall Art 3:11 PM
- Honey Rhubarb Brown Betty 11:03 AM
- Almond Poppyseed Shortbread Cookies 10:43 AM
- Deep Dark Hot Fudge Pudding Cake 10:51 AM
- Glazed Greek Yogurt Lemon Poppyseed Muffins 12:01 PM
- Glazed Vanilla Bean Cookies 8:56 AM
- Anne: I've just made two and they are absolutely adorabl...
- Sam: Kare, good luck to you. Your blog was the first th...
- Kare: Hi Angela! You left this comment nearly a year ago...
- Mary Castor: Hi, Just made these...What did I do wrong??? The...
- Kristen: This is so beautiful! :) I'm wanting to do somet...
- Lisa: Hi! I am doing a roundup of my favorite holiday t...
- Chante Drape: Dark chocolates and milk chocolates are the best. ...